Episode 98. I’ve Gone Vegan, You Haven’t, and This Is Why That’s Fine
Listen to the Episode
Enjoying the Podcast?
« CLICK HERE » to leave us a review and rating!
The Coach presents reams of research supporting the health benefits of a plant-based diet and shares his own adoption of a completely plant-based eating strategy.
Diet labels/memberships shouldn’t define who people are.
A diet is a lifestyle.
- Diets with labels are used to create tribalism with strict rules to follow.
- A diet lifestyle shouldn’t be a religion; nor should it define a person.
- Scott declares that he’s “Breaking Vegan,” meaning he’s eating a generally vegan diet, such as substituting black beans for chicken in one of his regular meals.
- His goal is not being lean or getting leaner–time will tell if he indeed does get leaner–but his goal with this recent switch is rather to be as healthy as possible.
- He’s NOT necessarily suggesting his clients switch to his eating strategy. What works for him is relative to his lifestyle, his goals, his body. He knows his clients have different goals, different lifestyles. The diet should fit the person, not the other way around!
- Public health organizations’ position papers support vegetarian diets as healthy, as well as vegan, adding that B12 supplementation is needed for vegan diets.
- Plant-based diets help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, certain forms of cancer, obesity, and diabetes, among other diseases.
- Scott’s not ruling out eating eggs, meat or fish on cheat days. For right now, he’s content to stay with plant-based.
- By coincidence, Scott’s mentee, fitness model Andy Sinclair, has also “gone vegan.”
- Vegetarian diets are also economical. Andy shared that his grocery bill has gone down; he buys chick peas for $.88 CAD.
Melina, V. “Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets.” J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016 Dec;116(12):1970-1980. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2016.09.025.
Download Free Resources
Get a free starter pack of resources and exercises to deal with emotional eating issues right now: