Episode 155. Eating Disordered Diets Disguised as Healthy
Listen to the Episode
Enjoying the Podcast?
« CLICK HERE » to leave us a review and rating!
Deprivation diets attract people susceptible to eating disorders, and they are showing up on social media disguised as legitimate weight loss methods.
The Coach discusses them and shares tips for how to spot a dangerous diet.
- Some social media influencers with large followings advocate diets that appeal to people already pre-disposed to eating disorders.
- They often combine deprivation diets: keto + IF; vegan + IF; vegan keto, and so forth.
- Some advocate [almost] complete starvation.
- Pinballing between deprivation diets is common among these influencers: keto, to IF, to One Meal a Day, etc.
- Just because someone calls themselves a health and fitness expert doesn’t make them one.
“Check yourself before you wreck yourself.”
Physique competition and eating disorders
- Eating disorders are rampant in the bikini and figure competition world.
- Female physique competition attracts women who are already obsessed with food and the body.
- Two eating disorder terms to know:
EDNOS (Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified), and Orthorexia.
- an obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
- a medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.
How to spot a potentially harmful diet
- Otherwise healthy diets applied in unhealthy ways, with deprivation in common.
- Deprivation Stacking: eliminating meals, or entire food groups.
- Restriction of specific foods, such as a vegan diet that restricts calorie-dense plant foods, like nuts.
- Extremes, such as drinking urine.
Sustainable, healthy weight loss
- Losing weight is one thing. Sustaining weight loss is another.
- A coach can help [by providing accountability and guidance.]
Diet Resources by Scott
Do you want to enjoy food
without "worrying" about it?
Get an entire module of "Food Freedom" as a Free Email Course
100% Free. No Credit Card Required.