Episode 127. Engaged to be Divorced
Listen to the Episode
Enjoying the Podcast?
« CLICK HERE » to leave us a review and rating!
Scott compares repeated diet failures common with fad dieting to the cycle of unhealthy romantic relationships.
Remember: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.”
People who don’t learn from their history are destined to repeat it.
- Unhealthy relationship cycle: Meet, courtship, engagement, wedding, honeymoon, facing that the relationship won’t work, divorce, learning nothing, then repeating the same cycle later thinking it will be different this time.
- This cycle is often repeated because the process of meeting and courtship is glorified. This is true of vogue diet trends.
- Deprivation and denial diets are back, alive and well. A few of the current vogue diet trends:
- Seven-day metabolic reset
- Intermittent fasting
- Keto diet with intermittent or true fasting
- One meal per day
- Cutting carbs is a form of fasting.
- Thinking a diet will work doesn’t change how the mind and body will respond to it.
- Diets that call for deprivation and denial run counter to the hardwiring of the brain, and are therefore doomed to fail in the long term.
- Falling in love with a diet blinds the dieter to internal signals from the body that the diet isn’t healthy, sustainable, or abusive to the body.
- “Keto flu” is the body’s way of signaling that something’s wrong.
- Deprivation diets are repeated when hope wins out over experience.
- Metabolic compensation system operates in the immediate, residual and cumulative realms of time.
- Fad diets operate in the short term, immediate time frame.
- People don’t talk about their diet failures. All that’s publicized in social media are the short-term results.
- Consequences of unhealthy diets can be experienced long after the diet is abandoned.
- The longest, most important relationship you will ever have is the one you have with yourself.
- Since when does a survival diet have anything to do with robust health?
We are the only mammal on the planet that fears its food.
Do you want to enjoy food
without "worrying" about it?
Get an entire module of "Food Freedom" as a Free Email Course
100% Free. No Credit Card Required.