Episode 123. I Wish I Could Eat Carbs
Listen to the Episode
Enjoying the Podcast?
« CLICK HERE » to leave us a review and rating!
Scott’s clients are frequently asked what they eat to get so lean and stay that way. Their “high-carb diet” answer often surprises people. Scott provides scientific research in attempts to expose that fat makes you fat, not carbs.
The fat you eat is the fat you wear
- Scott’s clients consume a high-carb diet.
- Some who think “carbs make you fat” often believe only [a select few] can eat carbs and be lean, that lean carb-eaters are somehow special.
- A 2001 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition looked at the effects of overfeeding.
Two populations were studied: overweight women, and lean women. The study concluded that lipogenesis (fat) increases after overfeeding with glucose and sucrose to the same extent in lean and obese women, but does not contribute greatly to total fat balance.
- The traditional Okinawan diet is renowned for its healthiness.
- Okinawa has 2-1/2 times the Japanese national average of people over 100 years old.
- Following the introduction of Western diet there (e.g. fast food), the next generation of Okinawans became the fattest in Japan and prone to a range of obesity-related illnesses.
- Human evolution studies are often cited by Paleo and Keto diet advocates. A recent study from University of Chicago shows that high carb diets were necessary for brain development.
- DeVitt RM, et al. “De novo lipogenesis during controlled overfeeding with sucrose or glucose in lean and obese women.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Dec;74(6):737-46.
- Joyce C. “Japanese get a taste for Western food and fall victim to obesity and early death.” The Telegraph, Sep 4 2006
- Hardy K, et al. “The Importance of Dietary Carbohydrate in Human Evolution.” University of Chicago Press, Quarterly Review of Biology, Vol 90, No. 3, Sep 2015.
Do you want to enjoy food
without “worrying” about it?
Get an entire module of “Food Freedom” as a Free Email Course
100% Free. No Credit Card Required.